Difference Between Magic Mushrooms and LSD

There are a lot of different ways to look at this, and psychedelics are something that we are just beginning to understand – but the following points represent the biggest differences:

1. Magic Mushrooms are grown organically, while LSD is synthesized in a lab

LSD was originally found from rye fungus, it’s true – but these days it is synthesized directly in a lab. This has a couple of ramifications, but the biggest one is that when you consume LSD, you are consuming a single concentrated molecule. When you’re eating shrooms, you’re eating an entire fungus – only 1-2% of whose weight is actually composed of psilocybin and psilocin. The other 98% is mostly non-psychoactive, but it’s impossible to discount the potential effects caused by the other psychoactive chemicals in psilocybin mushrooms. If you are looking to purchase magic mushrooms in Canada, you should make sure you find a reliable source!

2. LSD can affect both serotonin receptors and dopamine receptors, while psilocin only affects seretonin receptors.

As mentioned, these are both two completely distinct monoamines. Although psychedelic effects are commonly associated with serotonin receptor agonism, the dopamine receptor agonism likely plays a large role in the more energetic type of high that is often associated with LSD as compared with psilocybin.

3. Although both interact with 5-HT2A receptors with high synergy, the other seretonin receptors they affect are a little different.

Again, psychedelic effects are often thought to be associated with 5-HT2A receptor agonism, but the different seretonin receptors activated by the different molecules could be partially to explain for the different effects.

4. LSD can last much longer

This goes back to the unique “wastebin” trick of the LSD molecule when they bind to the seretonin receptor. While the psilocin molecule is almost always decoupled within 4-6 hours, once the LSD molecule bonds with the seretonin receptor, it creates a sort of lid that keeps it in place for up to 20 hours.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Shopping Cart